With technology taking over our modern society, sometimes it is so hard to disconnect and step away from the desk, especially at work! There’s no denying that for the majority of us after a while of sitting at our desk, the bum slides forward, the feet slide back, the shoulders round forward and the head sits forward. As comfortable as this may seem at the time, it will only cause us discomfort in the long run.
Things you will need:
- Adjustable ergonomic desk chair
- Screen, keyboard and mouse
- Desk with adjustable height
- A posture conscious mind!
- Adjust your chair so that the angle is horizontal and when seated, your feet should be flat on the floor and the hips slightly higher than the knees
- Adjust the height of the back rest to fit your lower back so that it feels supportive to your curve
- The height of your desk should be level or just below your elbows
- Your ankles, knees, hips and elbows should all be as close to 90 degrees as possible
- Your eyes should be level with the upper half or the screen and your ear should be in line with the tip of your shoulder
- The G and H keys of your keyboard should be in the middle of your body
- The mouse should be placed at the end of the keyboard of your preferred side, check its position regularly as mice walk!
- Anytime that you feel your posture slump back to its original position, hop up and take a walk! This will reset your body and refresh on your mind.
What are the dangers of sitting for too long you ask?
Not only does sitting for too long increase the stress on your vertebral discs (the squishy stuff in between your vertebrae), it can also lead to a myriad of other health problems such as muscle degeneration, leg disorders, foggy brain (not what you want when you’re working!!) and finally a bad back. Spines that don’t move become stuff and are more susceptible to damage during the most simple movements, such as reaching or bending.
The image below shows how your vertebral discs respond to different positions.
So next time you are sitting for a short or long time at your desk, switch on your posture conscious mind and put in place the above method! You’ll be surprised at how much better you feel at the end of the day!Leave a reply →