Sciatica Treatment in Lower Plenty
It is estimated that 80% of the population experience some form of back pain in their adult life, with “sciatica” being one of the most common forms. Sciatica is a large nerve, formed from the union of several smaller lumbar nerves. The sciatic nerve travels deep in the buttock muscles and runs down the back of the leg to the knee. It is this path that causes the characteristic shooting sciatica pain. Piriformis tightness (a muscle deep in the buttock that compresses the sciatic nerve), spinal compression/subluxation, disc injury or prolonged poor postures are some of the most common causes of sciatica. Thorough examination and accurate diagnosis is vital and at Bodyline Health and our professional team of Chiropractors, Physiotherapists and Osteopaths & Podiatrists have the skills and experience to identify and address the true source of your problem.
Sciatica is a symptom, not the diagnosis and some of the most common symptoms of sciatica include –
- Lower back pain that varies in its intensity from moderate to severe
- Muscle spasm along the nerve can be aggravated by sneezing and coughing.
- Can produce burning, numbness and tingling or sharp “electric shock” sensations
- Pain is often constant but may become sharp and stabbing with weight bearing, motion (like walking) and forward/backwards bending
- Muscle weakness, tightness & tenderness in the lower back and hamstrings
- It is as Common in manual workers as it is in sedentary office workers
- Pelvis distortion and leg length difference are often related
How we help with Scistica
In many cases, it is pressure from inflammation, muscle spasm or spinal misalignment that are the primary cause of irritation to the sciatic nerve. The modalities that are offered by our professionals at Bodyline Health help alleviate this pressure. Over the course of care, you can receive physical therapy, exercises, braces and advice on postural/lifestyle changes that help to reduce inflammation and relieve pain.
- Spinal manipulations or mobilizations
- Massage therapy and Myotherapy
- PNF Stretching and Joint release techniques
- Ultrasound and other electrical therapy
- Dry needling and Biopuncture Injections
- Identification of aggravators and advice on how to better avoid them at home/work
As one of the leading injury clinics in the Diamond Valley area, we provide care to all local communities around Lower Plenty including Bundoora, Viewbank, Greensborough, Doncaster and Eltham.