What is it? What are the causes for neck pain?
Neck pain is the most common condition patients come to see Chiropractors at BodylineHealth.
Common causes of neck pain varies from a pinched nerve (from sleeping awkwardly or stress), injury and strain (such as whiplash), to arthritis and even herniated disc. Accurate diagnosis of the cause of the pain is vital and all the important structures other than muscles must be assessed – (such as arteries, veins, lymph nodes, thyroid gland, oesophagus, etc). Injuries to any of these structures can often lead to neck pain.
- Stiff neck (can make it hard to turn the head)
- Tension from the shoulders up to a ring around the head (Tension Headache)
- Dull, sharp or stabbing pain in one or multiple spots
- Soreness, tenderness, tingling or numbness in a general area
- Dizziness or light-headedness
- Pain that radiates down onto the shoulders, arms, or fingers, or can radiate up to the head
When diagnosing the cause of neck pain palpation of the neck and surrounding areas is completed, along with questions about the patient’s recent history of activities, as this can often the best indicator. Out of the ordinary events such as:
- INCREASED STRESS
- CHANGED SLEEPING POSTURE (bed swapping for children or away in a different bed)
- INCREASED/ABNORMALLY LONG TIME IN A CAR OR ON A COMPUTER
- OR SOMETHING REPETITIVE (such as gardening, cleaning or painting)
Are often the main causes and once identified must be avoided. However, these signs along with pain location, duration and radiation up to the head or down the arm are all vital in diagnosis. As experts who see this so frequently Bodyline Health can guide you in how to manage these issues and initiate a course of treatment to speed up recovery. Further testings such as x-rays are available at the clinic when required.
Call our clinic on (03) 9017 4784 and Dr. Phil will be more than happy to chat to you about your concerns. Alternatively, we are open 6 days a week to talk to our staff of or you can book an appointment anytime on our website at www.bodylinehealth.com .
Leave a reply