The most common lower back injury is a strain or sprain and has a pain range from mild to extremely debilitating. It is estimated that 70-90% of Australians will suffer some form of back pain at some stage of their life. Although sprained (ligaments) and strained (muscles) are technically different – they are almost never exclusive and are typically felt as the result of an overstretch in the region. This overstretch is often the result of a direct trauma, repetitive overuse, sudden unguarded movement and most frequent, muscle imbalance/de-conditioning from poor posture and inactivity. Other patterns include –
- Marked stiffness during movements is one of the most common signs of damage to the ligaments and/or muscles in the region
- Moderate to severe lower back pain especially on movements that can refer up to thoracic spine and cause more global back tension
- Pain may occur immediately or shortly after injury (24-48 hrs)
- Muscle tightness & tenderness may radiate to buttock and upper leg
- Local swelling that can become very tender to touch
- Muscle spasm often results in loss of mobility and guarded walk
As one of Melbourne’s leading injury clinics our team of professionals including chiropractors, physiotherapists, Naturopaths & Myotherapists have the skills to diagnose the cause of your problem and pain and then develop a unique program for your recovery. Rest, home icing, and medication are all initially important however, hands on treatment such as Massage, Manipulation, TENS and Ultrasound are clinical tools that can be used to decrease swelling and promote healing. As the injury improves a structured strengthening program and postural/work advice can then be implemented to prevent chronic instability or future re-occurrences. For more information on how our team can help, please call Bodyline Health on 90174784.