Also known as: Sciatic nerve pain
Can be the cause of : Lower back painWhat is it? Sciatica treatment is the commonly treated back ailment at Bodyline Health – Sciatica is a symptom of lower back pain where pain runs along the sciatic nerve – down the back and into the legs. The pain (often described as tingling, numbness, or weakness) can be “shooting” in the muscles of the buttocks and travel down the legs. Symptoms: Sciatica is often characterised by one or more of the following-
- Pain across the lower back/buttock that runs down one leg (left or right side only, rarely both sides)
- “Shooting” down the leg but not past the knee
- Pain that gets worse when standing up from sitting position
- Causes difficult when walk for prolonged periods
- Burning or tingling pain that is rated as severe
- Piriformis Tension – the sciatic nerve runs under the when the Piriformis muscle (deep in the buttock). If the Piriformus muscle becomes irritated due to tightness or inflation it compresses the sciatic nerve underneath thus creating the sciatica-type pain.
- Sacroiliac Joint Dysfunction – The sacroiliac joint is located at the bottom of the spine, there you see the two dimples at tthe If this joint is becomes misaligned, it is unable to function properly . This distortion cause nerve irritation, inflammation and tension to the muscles surrounding the joint thus causing sciatica-type pain.
- Chiropractic/manual manipulation
- Dry needling/acupuncture
- Home exercise and stretches for lower back pain